Tampa Bay Listening Society

Friday, August 19, 2005

CD Baby & Robert's List

You can find lots of good music at CDbaby if you have time to search andlisten to the samples-I sent a list of some of my favorite finds for thenews letter but it must not have made itMaybe this semester I'll have time to make it to the meetings againRobert---Copy of list below----Well I decided to make a list of my 10 favorite CDs from CDbaby (anindependent artist distribution website) I like to find good new music-andthere's dreadfully little of it in stores nowadays so I do a lot of browsingand a little buying at CDbaby.com-and as an added bonus it seems that theseartist usually turn out above average sound quality-probably because theycan't afford to pay someone to monkey around with it too much-or maybe it'sjust that they can HEAR. -Jack Johnson // brushfire fairytales-even though he has "made it big" nowhis first CD was sold here-very soothing, laidback  music with intelligentlyrics that make you think about the world today -Live from New York //this is 4 indie artist doing a show together, and whata show it is-2 male and 2 female artist cover most of their good songs(IMO)on 1 album-folk/acoustic/live-this was one of my first purchases and stillone of my favorites  -Andrew Kerr // live-one of the artist from the above album-a good show witha sprinkling of comedy thrown in for fun -Amos Lee //(self titled-2nd album-blue cover)this is a perfect album(notracks that you'd rather just get rid of or hit the skip button on) I thinkhe is touring with Norah Jones now so hopefully we'll be seeing more of him -Jude // Sarah-lyrical poetry-very interesting mix of styles-for some reasonhe kind of reminds me of John Lennon.don't know why -Cassendre Xavier//Beautiful-if you like Joan Armatrading, Patti and Tuck,Roberta Flack, or Traci Chapman then you should really check this one out -Alexi Murdoch // four songs-everyone swears they've heard this before butit's original-one of the websites all-time best sellers -Renata//self titled-kind of Norah Jones flavor-but with more soul-somemight remember it from the Christmas party -Idina Menzel // here-to me this ones hard to put in a category(although,like most on this list, it comes from the folk genre)it mixes jazz with alittle country flavor-very interesting -Forest Sun // plenty-another one of my first 3 purchases that has stood thetest of time (for me-so far)  So there you go-if you're tired of the same old music or the crappy newmusic check out some of these-or some others-they have many ways to searchfor whatever suits you on their website (mood, style, genre, sounds likesome familiar artist) and you get a free disc with each order-one of whichis worth mentioning a compilation/sampler titled {Natural Beauty} and I liketo think I'm supporting the artist in spite of the record labels-since theyobviously don't have a clue what good music is anymore Robert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home